Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fern McGarry Hatch November 6, 1915- April 20, 2009



Last week my Grandma Hatch passed away. I was sad to see her go but so excited for her to see Grandpa again. She was 94, still living on her own, and in darn good health! Her funeral was this weekend. There were many cousins, uncles, and aunts. It was wonderful to connect with them as we celebrated her life. It was very sweet to hear all of her stories again. She was the most kind and generous person I know. She could always be seen with a mint for a sore throat, cough, breath freshener, snack, or sweet treat. And she always had a tissue for a cold, runny nose, tearful eye, trash for gum, or anything else you could have imagined. She loved her family so much, even if it included slapping their hand away from the food :) Her love of education was instilled in me. She was one of the driving forces for me to work hard and graduate quickly in a field I loved which turned out to be teaching as well. I loved when my grandpa would crack a joke and they would laugh till they were teary! And I loved how tenderly they would sit by each other and hold each others hand. She was an amazing woman and I wish I could be a little like her someday.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

this is so sweet. she sounds like an amazing lady. i want to be like my grandma too!

GeorgiaBecksteads said...

See, I knew I would leave something out in my post about grandma. How could anyone forget the starlite mints being sneaked and gently pressed in your hand! Great picture. Is that from your open house in MO?

Soren and Kilee Nickels said...

I am really sorry/happy to hear that. I hope your Mom is taking it okay. I know she has been ready to go for a while, but it still can be hard. Will you go out for the funeral? Hope all is well.